Preventive Cleanings & Exams
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral Cancer screening: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings are performed by our Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Laser Bacterial Removal: The hygienist will use a laser light to eliminate cross-contamination of periodontal/bacterial pathogens to promote healthy gum tissue.
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease.
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.